"Your faithfulness continues through all generations." Ps. 119:90

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Numbers

I think Micah's taking after Daddy.  He's been fascinated with numbers for quite a while now-- sometimes it's pretty funny what things he comes up with.

Just now, he was reading the numbers in the table of contents in one of his large books (has many stories and thus many numbers.

Lately he's been counting by 10's.  Not always starting with 10, tho.  He'll say 21,31,41, 51, 61,71 etc up to at least 101.  Starting with any number.  Maybe 7,17,27,37,47, etc.

He counts by 2's or 5's or 10's the normal way as well.  Yesterday he made it up to 300-something by 5's, I think.  At that point, someone told him to shush because he was bugging them. :)  Life of a younger brother.

Often in the car (and some other places), he'll say, "Mommy, what is 4+4?"  Then when I answer "8", he'll say, "What's 8+8?"  Then when I say "16", he'll say, "What's 16+16?"  And he keeps going until either 1) the numbers are too big so he has trouble repeating them or 2) the numbers are too big so I have trouble keeping them straight in my head while I'm driving or 3) I get sick of it so I end it. 

He's also VERY much into people's ages.  He couldn't tell you names of everyone I think he should know by name, but he can tell you ages of all sorts of people.  And be careful!  If you don't want everyone to know your age, don't tell him!  He's announced to all sorts of people that I'm 39.  Daddy is 39 and will turn 40 on Oct. 7.  Mrs.  Shoemaker is ___.  Grandpa is _____.  Grandma is _______.  Grammy is ____. Papa is _______.  Natalie is _____.  Heidi is ____.  And so on with MANY more.

Maybe funniest is with babies.  At the Wingert reunion the other day, I was holding a 3-week-old 6 pound baby, Chad's cousin Melanie's youngest, and Micah didn't ask her name (that's what the girls would have done at that age, I'm sure).  He said, "How old is that baby?"  (I don't think he even knew/cared if she was a girl or boy)  When I said she was about 3 weeks old, he said, "I know!  She's zero!"

1 comment:

  1. Funny that he's into ages. Right now the boys are really into when people's birthdays are. A couple of times lately we've gone through a LONG list of people and their birthdays. Of course, they don't have any concept of time yet - they know their birthday is in November, but don't have a clue what that means. And I said your is Feb 27 and Uncle Eric's is Feb 26, but they didn't catch on to that being cool at all. :)

    ReplyDelete